    SubjectRe: Console mapping problems? [I hear about these - I wanna know!]
    Hi,

    > Also would be very expensive in terms of kernel memory.

    Yes. Maybe we should offer a bit more global maps and only select from
    them locally. Should be sufficient and it's less expensive.

    > Well there is escape sequences (very easy to emulate, works across
    > telnet etc.; disadvantage: makes it easy to utterly scramble someone
    > else's console.) That is a reasonable thing to do if it is
    > per-console.

    Yes.

    > If we want a more "out-of-band" solution I suggest creating a
    > libconsole which maps to ioctl() for the kernel console; X and other
    > user-space solutions can use sockets or X resources or whathaveyou to
    > communicate. This separates the API from the IPC method used.

    Or extend some of the standard libraries (ncurses?) or finally decide
    to write a _good_ terminal access library (some time ago, I wrote a skeleton
    of my own terminal library having much better optimizations than ncurses)
    supporting this interface, too.

    > > 5 - UTF8.
    >
    > UTF-8 is not a map; it plugs directly into the Unicode layer. The
    > 8-bit maps are maps from 8-bit charsets to Unicode.

    Yes, it isn't a map in the original meaning of the word, but it's in fact
    another mechanism mapping a stream of 8-bit codes to Unicode.

    > Actually, the Latin-1 table in the kernel, selectable with ESC ( B is
    > fine, but the ISO 2022 codes for other charsets should be honoured,
    > and Latin-1 shouldn't be the automatic default.

    ACK.

    Have a nice fortnight
    --
    Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@gts.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
    "Windows Error: 007 - System price error. Inadequate money spent."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.023 / U:30.612 seconds]