    SubjectRe: CONFIG_SMP patch available for 2.1.54
    I would have to second that as well, (that it could be a driver issue) on
    the same machine, if I boot the machine with one CPU in it with a SMP
    kernel, the system dies a hideous death of multiple oops, followed by a
    full system reset. (It was ugly.) After the reboot, back on a non-smp
    kernel, the advansys controller that came with my HP4020i CR writer, was
    braindead. I needed to boot DOS, resetup the card, then Linux would
    recognize it again (Only on non-SMP kernel)

    If I put the second CPU in the machine (As it currently is) everything
    works great.

    Current machine is Tomcat IV MB w/2 P5 200Mhz MMX. 112 MB memory.
    AHA-2940, Advansys ???, and 10GB disk.

    -Ron McCormick

    On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Mine does. I have an IBM SLC/486-33. Uniprocessor 2.1.54 works fine,
    > > but SMP 2.1.54 gives me an unlimited number of "lock from interrupt
    > > context at %p\n" messages. I don't mind because I don't expect 486 SMP
    > > to work anyways. (But this did prevent me from testing my CONFIG_SMP
    > > patch very well).
    > What drivers. There is no reason for the problem you are seeing being a
    > CPU specific bug - its most likely a driver flaw. What drivers do you
    > use and does 2.0.x SMP work for your box
    > > Personally I would like to get rid of about half these tests and just go
    > > with the fractionally slower code with no configuration tests. I don't
    > > mind having arch/i386/kernel/smp.c linked in or not depending on __SMP__,
    > > but I don't like seeing __SMP__ in the middle of low-level include files.
    > > Besides the code cleanup benefit, it would eliminate the distinction
    > > between SMP and non-SMP modules.
    > The difference on intel for non SMP with things like FPU heavy tasks can
    > be over 100% gain. Its worth having SMP seperate.
    > Alan

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:24.948 seconds]