SubjectRe: LILO and kernel bootsector will not boot off an LS-120 IDE floppy.
Date
Dave Cinege wrote:
> I've still had no more luck with lilo. I have noticed that the LS-120 is
> getting addressed as hdg instead of hda because of the memory address the
> IDE controller resides at.

First let me say that I don't know what kind of animal an LS-120 is. If
it identifies itself as an IDE disk to the system, LILO will treat it
as such and use some probably stupid BIOS drive number. If the LS-120
identifies itself as drive 0 ("A:") to the BIOS, something like

disk = /dev/hdg bios = 0

in your lilo.conf might help. If it identifies itself as the first
hard disk, it'd be bios = 0x80 . If it picks either identity,
depending on the media in it, well, you can also use variables in
lilo.conf ;-)

Depending on what this device does with the disk geometry, I'd also
experiment with the LINEAR option. Also, I'd avoid the use of COMPACT
before the first successful boot. If all else fails and you have to
specify the entire geometry, remember that dparam is your friend.

Once you get it to work with LILO, it might be easier to find out what
breaks the kernel boot sector.

> I'm making the disk on my system as hda.

I don't understand this sentence. Are you (1) talking about your real
IDE hard disk or are you saying that (2) you can access that IDE floppy
also as /dev/hda ? If (1), just try the above procedure. If (2), you may
have to use /dev/hda instead of /dev/hdg, but I'm actually not quite
sure what's going on then.

If such devices are becoming popular, a long-term solution would probably
be to detect them in the IDE drivers of the kernel and to give them
either their own major device number or to have some ioctl that lets me
get their real identity, so LILO can act appropriately without requiring
special configuration.

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, DI-LRC,EPFL,CH werner.almesberger@lrc.di.epfl.ch /
/_IN_R_133__Tel_+41_21_693_6621__Fax_+41_21_693_6610_____________________/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.047 / U:0.028 seconds]