SubjectRe: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48
In article <Pine.A41.3.95.970808132156.19088G-100000@luna.harbor.ab.ca> you write:
>I'm probably missing something, but I don't see why this problem can't be
>solved in user space. The application can provide a wrapper around
>the open function so when wine or DOSEMU or whatever attempts to open a
>file it can manually step through the directory, find a case insensitive
>match (or apply other aliasing criteria), and use that instead. No
>filesystem-specific behaviour necessary.

In fact WINE already does that. There is also additional support the
VFAT ioctl() which reads both short and longname. But WINE can live happily
without this one.

>The discussion seems to have branched into broader aliasing issues, but if
>wine/DOSEMU is the only immediate concern then it doesn't seem like a
>kernel change is absolutely necessary.

I can't see a good & clean concept (like Linus wants) either...
But it wouldn't be the first time I would be surprised ;)

Marcus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.048 / U:0.296 seconds]