    SubjectRe: 2.0.31p2 locks up
    --------
    > Andre Uratsuka Manoel wrote:
    > >On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >-> > After about a day the number of skbufs is about 100 000. What is
    > >-> > the size of a skbuf? If they averaged 100 bytes, I would have 10 MB
    > >-> > taken by kernel memory.
    >
    > >-> What network devices are you using. Do you have any unusual routes, are
    > >-> you trying to use the traffic shaper with 2.0.30 ?
    >
    > > More unusual things: alias are assigned to different networks as
    > >eth0. Shaper patch was applied, but the shaper module is not loaded in.
    > >Also, the shaper patch was not applied in one of the machines with
    > >problems.
    >
    > Aha! I think we might have struck gold here.
    > What I have:
    > - Several machines humming along smoothly (apparently).
    > - One machine getting real low on memory every now and then (the watchdog
    > eventually reboots it).
    > All machines run 2.0.30p2+werner-fink-the-1st(with the old buffer code)
    >
    > The only real difference between this machine and all the others are the
    > numerous (20 or so) IP-aliases it carries which are *not* in the network
    > attached to eth0.

    I have a web server running 124 aliases not in the segment attached to eth0.
    Although it's rare, I also see the machine lock up in this configuration.
    although I suspect the 128M RAM helps keep those times farther in between
    than they might otherwise be. Running plain 2.0.30-pre-2 on that machine
    (so it uses the same net code, but different buffer code than your setup).
    * Doug Ledford * Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x, *
    * dledford@dialnet.net 873-DIAL * WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician *
    * Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
    * communities. Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other *
    * 873-9000 V.34 * services available, call for info. *

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:3.328 seconds]