SubjectRe: 2.0.31p2 locks up
--------
> Andre Uratsuka Manoel wrote:
> >On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Alan Cox wrote:
> >-> > After about a day the number of skbufs is about 100 000. What is
> >-> > the size of a skbuf? If they averaged 100 bytes, I would have 10 MB
> >-> > taken by kernel memory.
>
> >-> What network devices are you using. Do you have any unusual routes, are
> >-> you trying to use the traffic shaper with 2.0.30 ?
>
> > More unusual things: alias are assigned to different networks as
> >eth0. Shaper patch was applied, but the shaper module is not loaded in.
> >Also, the shaper patch was not applied in one of the machines with
> >problems.
>
> Aha! I think we might have struck gold here.
> What I have:
> - Several machines humming along smoothly (apparently).
> - One machine getting real low on memory every now and then (the watchdog
> eventually reboots it).
> All machines run 2.0.30p2+werner-fink-the-1st(with the old buffer code)
>
> The only real difference between this machine and all the others are the
> numerous (20 or so) IP-aliases it carries which are *not* in the network
> attached to eth0.

I have a web server running 124 aliases not in the segment attached to eth0.
Although it's rare, I also see the machine lock up in this configuration.
although I suspect the 128M RAM helps keep those times farther in between
than they might otherwise be. Running plain 2.0.30-pre-2 on that machine
(so it uses the same net code, but different buffer code than your setup).
* Doug Ledford * Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x, *
* dledford@dialnet.net 873-DIAL * WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician *
* Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
* communities. Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other *
* 873-9000 V.34 * services available, call for info. *

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.609 / U:0.172 seconds]