    SubjectRe: The Slab Allocator (Was: Re: New dcache not using slab allocator?)
    David S. Miller wrote:
    > Can you implement front ends to SLAB which need not grab any locks nor
    > disable interrupts? This is why the per-cpu magazine aspect of SIMP
    > was a no brainer for Thomas to implement, and why it is perfect for
    > inode and dentry allocation, outside of the fragmentation issues you
    > mentioned.

    Do you need a guarantee against blocking or disabling interrupts, or do
    you just need very fast allocation? I could propose a very simple front
    end with a typical allocation time of 2 xchg instructions (+ one pointer
    dereference), a worst case same as current slab, and no need for
    per-engine queues.

    I'm not sure what all the issues here are, but agree with Mark that we
    should put the effort into one highly optimized well-tested allocator.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:0.692 seconds]