Subjectbuffer cache patches - anybody willing to summarize?

As David Miller got fed up with the bickering on pre-2.0.31, I'm in the
unenviable position of having to do it myself. I have all of the patches
that David has gotten over time, but quite frankly I don't consider 2.0.x
to be all that interesting, and for me 2.0.31 only makes sense as a
stability version that fixes the worst problems of 2.0.x rather that
trying to fix all the small nagging things..

One of the worst problems is certainly the memory behaviour of the buffer
cache, and before I start working on this I'd like the people who worked
on it and had multiple different versions to (a) send me their _latest_
patch relative to a clean 2.0.30 (so that I don't have to wade through all
the patches that have been posted only to find later versions) and (b)
please summarize what the behaviour has been.

I did not follow the original discussion very much apart from the parts
that were relevant to me (ie 2.1.x) as I didn't expect to have to bother.

In short, I would like to have all the final versions, and I'd like to
have _only_ the buffer-cache related stuff. You can pretty much assume
that I'm working off a clean 2.0.30 - ignore any pre-patches by David.

ALSO! If people made other, non-buffer-cache related patches and sent them
to David, please consider them lost. I do have Davids patches but I want
to look over the separate patches rather than the one humongous patch I
have now. Again, please summarize exactly why you think the patch is
needed: and you can pretty much assume that I'm unwilling to apply any
patches that aren't obviously _really_ needed.

NOTE NOTE NOTE! The above sounds like I want others to do as much work for
2.0.31 as possible, and that's exactly correct. I hope that nobody is
offended by having to re-do work they already did, but think of what I
have to go through.. Most of the patch-creators at least have to re-do
only one patch (their own), while I will have to go through a lot of
patches from many sources. That is why I want to try to get others to do
as much as possible before I then distill the final 2.0.31.

This is what people get for being difficult to David. I may be a lot more
thick-skinned than David, but because of that I'm also a lot more bitchy.

List of patches currently applied to my tree:
- axp math bits by Richard Henderson
- init_tty patch by Bill Hawes

That's it,

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.110 / U:0.384 seconds]