Subject2.1.47: something memory related goes wrong

Hi kernelistics! ;-)

I have mentioned this before, but there was no
answer. Because I am thinking, there is something
serious wrong and it happens again, I send this again.

If I am wrong, please send me a hint, so I can stop
thinking, that there is something wrong.

What happens?

I have started my Linux v2.1.47 this morning.
Since now (about 12 hours later...) nothing special
happens.

Just a moment before, my box began to swap heavily,
all slows down, the redraw of window contenses
was done line...........by.........line.

A (slowly executed) "cat /proc/meminfo" produces:

MemTotal: 31196 kB
MemFree: 256 kB
MemShared: 8832 kB
Buffers: 440 kB
Cached: 6000 kB
SwapTotal: 21484 kB
SwapFree: 16712 kB

As I have understood, the sum of MemFree, MemShared, Buffers
and Cached has to match nearly the value of MemTotal.

As you can see, in the above dump there are 155668KBytes simply
missing. Where they are?????

There was no "heavy process" running, just X, two or three rxvt/bash
X (v3.3), FileRunner and the normal daemons.

The kernel itself does not include any special things also.

After this, I have to reboot, because the reactions of the system
become dagerously slow...

If I can give more detailed information: Just mail me, I will do
what I can to trace down this.

KEEP HACKING!
meino

E-Mail: Meino Christian Cramer <mccramer@solfire.ludwigsburg.netsurf.de>
Date: 03-Aug-97
Time: 17:36:06

This message was sent by XFMail

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.030 / U:0.732 seconds]