    Subject2.1.47: something memory related goes wrong

    Hi kernelistics! ;-)

    I have mentioned this before, but there was no
    answer. Because I am thinking, there is something
    serious wrong and it happens again, I send this again.

    If I am wrong, please send me a hint, so I can stop
    thinking, that there is something wrong.

    What happens?

    I have started my Linux v2.1.47 this morning.
    Since now (about 12 hours later...) nothing special

    Just a moment before, my box began to swap heavily,
    all slows down, the redraw of window contenses
    was done

    A (slowly executed) "cat /proc/meminfo" produces:

    MemTotal: 31196 kB
    MemFree: 256 kB
    MemShared: 8832 kB
    Buffers: 440 kB
    Cached: 6000 kB
    SwapTotal: 21484 kB
    SwapFree: 16712 kB

    As I have understood, the sum of MemFree, MemShared, Buffers
    and Cached has to match nearly the value of MemTotal.

    As you can see, in the above dump there are 155668KBytes simply
    missing. Where they are?????

    There was no "heavy process" running, just X, two or three rxvt/bash
    X (v3.3), FileRunner and the normal daemons.

    The kernel itself does not include any special things also.

    After this, I have to reboot, because the reactions of the system
    become dagerously slow...

    If I can give more detailed information: Just mail me, I will do
    what I can to trace down this.

    E-Mail: Meino Christian Cramer <>