SubjectRe: UTF-8, OSTA-UDF [why?], Unicode, and miscellaneous gibberish
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Teunis Peters wrote:
> I don't know what the Japanese or Russian reasons are for opposition but
> the Chinese have REALLY good reasons for disliking Unicode....
>
> Lack of ability to handle a growing, changing character set being the
> chief problem.

What encoding handles a growing, changing character set?

Unicode is regularly extended, and is incredibly complete in
the area of Japanese characters (which I know a little
about). I am sure it is/could be as complete for Chinese.
There are even private areas for your own extensions. What
more could you want?

(I note that you are generally positive about Unicode, which
I agree about.)

I don't think a big Unicode-advocacy discussion on
linux-kernel is going to be very constructive. People should
read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/unicode.txt if they
haven't already.

Linux has already standardised on UTF-8 for the console. The
suggestion of converting all file systems to a single
encoding is probably a useful one, and should probably
available as a (default?) mount option.

> This is _JUST_ for 16bit+ filesystems. Not 8bit filesystems like ext2 or
> the like.

As far as I understood, ext2 had already been standardised on UTF-8.
Of course most (all?) of the effects of this decision take place
in user space, so people are free to do something else if they really
want to. Especially people who prefer an 8-bit standard (no '/' issue).

Even without a big discussion on linux-kernel. Hint, hint.

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com http://inet.uni-c.dk/~ehcorry/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:1.551 / U:0.480 seconds]