SubjectRe: why multiple ext3fs partions in a single dos partition is good.
At 11:39 AM 8/18/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Darren Reed:
>
>: For those of us who don't run only linux, we may have 3 partitions already
>: setup for other operating systems, including DOS/Windows, with one of those
>: as an extended partition. Now the real problem is that you can't boot into
>: an extended partition,
>
>Why not?

I must agree, "why not?" In fact, I have setup a computer running Linux,
Windows95, WindowsNT, OS/2 Warp and FreeBSD with System Commander as the
boot manager and I have successfully installed OS/2 into an extended
partition and booted from it. It all a matter of wether or not the boot
manager supports booting from an extended partition.

>: not to mention that I've yet to see an fdisk program
>: that will deal with two extended partitions.
>
>Never used sfdisk?
>
>: Now that I think of it, Linux
>: is the only PC Unix I use that requires one dos partition per ext2fs
>: partition. Solaris/FreeBSD/NetBSD all let you create /, /usr, /var all in
>: a single DOS partition.
>
>So does Linux.

Since when does Linux require a DOS partition for every ext2fs? I have
Linux on one of my machines as the only OS and the only FS type is ext2.
There are no DOS partitions on that machine. And may I correct you in
saying that FreeBSD doesn't install multiple partitions into a DOS
partition. In fact, FreeBSD will partition a primary or extended partition
into sub-partitions as if all partitions are treated as extended.

Hmm...I believe you are using the term DOS partition in correctly. Now
that I think about it, if you replace the word DOS with primary, then you'd
be correct...to some degree.

I just wanted to clarify things.

Cameron Bean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.047 / U:0.516 seconds]