    SubjectRe: NFS bug in 2.1.48
    Systemkennung Linux <> writes:

    > > > #!/bin/bash
    > > > cat >/tmp/xxx <<BUGGY
    > > > asdf
    > > > BUGGY
    > [...]
    > > Your little script, however, does NOT result in this error (talking
    > > about 2.1.49). But there definitely is something wrong. What really
    > > strikes me that both constructs don't fiddle with file descriptors
    > > located on a NFS file system, only with pipes between processes. That
    > > -ESTALE error _should_ be impossible.
    > Here documents are placed in a file in $TMPDIR by the shell. They do
    > not use pipes in any shell I know of.

    Oh, sorry. Didn't know that. But then, what do you think of the
    following little shell script:

    sh -s << _HERE_
    ls -la $TMPDIR

    If the Here document is placed in a file in $TMPDIR, then it should
    show up in the output of `ls -la'. But it doesn't. I really don't
    think that a decent shell implementation should create another file in
    $TMPDIR for Here documents. And I'm pretty sure that at least bash
    feds it to the standard input of the command using a pipe.

    However, I didn't exmine the source code of bash or ksh or tcsh.
    You may still be right, but I don't think so.

    But all of the above doesn't touch the real problem: that bogus ESTALE
    error (in the case of tclsh I _AM_ sure that no tmp file is created by
    tclsh for reading the stderr of "exec some_command", tclsh uses pipes)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.044 / U:9.296 seconds]