SubjectRe: Killing clones
wladams@freenet.tlh.fl.us writes:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > In fact, the application that really started me thinking in earnest
> > about clone() problems is sort-of asynchronous I/O: deep in my support
> > library I have "Channel" object, a bit like C library "FILE *"
> > streams, but properly full duplex (i.e. a separate read and write
> > buffer) plus a lot more smarts. Set an attribute and suddenly any
> > blocking writes as well as read-ahead can be done by a child thread,
> > leaving the main thread to write without blocking but also without
> > having to worry about rescheduling writes if you get EAGAIN.
> >
> as it so happens, i am porting a high performance database from
> 370/assembler to linux.
>
> would it be possible to obtain these sources by anonymous ftp?
>
> i've reinvented enough wheels for one lifetime.

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/karma/

Currently downloadable source is for v1.6 which doesn't have these
features, but I can always forward you the relevant bits for you to
look at, or, you can download a binary distribution if you just want
to use it. But, as you may realise, I'm holding off using LinuxThreads
because of the parent-death problem, and I need a proper thread
library for this, not just my job launching system. But don't despair:
we may see a kernel patch soon :-)

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.084 / U:0.500 seconds]