       Date: 	Sat, 5 Jul 1997 14:46:42 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Ion Badulescu <>

    > Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
    > SeekComplete Error }
    > Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 {
    > UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=626563, sector=9666
    > Jul 5 15:26:31 soda kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02, sector
    > 9666

    This has nothing to do with ext2, it's your hardware that's failing.
    Usually such messages denote a dying IDE hard drive, altough sometimes a
    faulty IDE interface can create problems as well. I take it that your
    motherboard uses a Triton chipset (since you tried to disable DMA
    transfers) which are pretty good in general, so it's probably your hard

    I'm beginning to think that we should make the kernel message clearer,
    since this is a very common question. I get asked it a lot privately,
    and then it gets asked on the linux-kernel mailing list fairly often as

    Maybe we should have the IDE driver print something about "likely drive
    failure", and also more clearly identify which drive is failing. "dev
    03:02" is simply not very descriptive for most poeple.

    If the errors show up randomly, it could be an issue with the interface;
    if they're consistant, the drive is toast.

    If you have a spare disk, do this ASAP

    dd if=/dev/XXX of=/dev/XXX bs=1k conv=noerror,sync

    or if you don't have a spare disk but have enough space on another
    partition, redirect the output to an image file on another disk.
    Unfortunately, these sorts of disk failures tend to be progressive, so
    the fater one acts, the better. This is another reason why it's bad
    that kernel messages aren't more explicit in its error messages.

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:0.252 seconds]