SubjectRe: Msdos patch for aliased names
Followup to:  <>
By author: Linus Torvalds <>
In newsgroup:
> Instead, could we maybe just simplify the canonicalization of msdos
> filenames? Simplify it enough that name_translate_char() would be
> sufficient? The rules would be:
> - no suffix -> no dot
> - basename > 8 characters -> can't happen
> - forget about hidden files and the prepending '.'
> None of the above rules are very fascistic - they'd simplify things a lot,
> and I think the old logic is too complex to be really worth maintaining.
> Linus

There is some benefit, though, to using the same canonicalization
rules as MS-DOS itself, and MS-DOS' rules are *very* liberal. Maybe
the right thing to do is to allow name_translate_char() to shorten the
name (I don't know of any case where the name can actually grow in

As far as hidden files go, though, I agree completely. They should be
handled through a setflags/getflags interface (as should the ext2

PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See for web page and full PGP public key
Always looking for a few good BOsFH. ** Linux - the OS of global cooperation
I am Baha'i -- ask me about it or see