    SubjectRe: Msdos patch for aliased names
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Linus Torvalds <>
    In newsgroup:
    > Instead, could we maybe just simplify the canonicalization of msdos
    > filenames? Simplify it enough that name_translate_char() would be
    > sufficient? The rules would be:
    > - no suffix -> no dot
    > - basename > 8 characters -> can't happen
    > - forget about hidden files and the prepending '.'
    > None of the above rules are very fascistic - they'd simplify things a lot,
    > and I think the old logic is too complex to be really worth maintaining.
    > Linus

    There is some benefit, though, to using the same canonicalization
    rules as MS-DOS itself, and MS-DOS' rules are *very* liberal. Maybe
    the right thing to do is to allow name_translate_char() to shorten the
    name (I don't know of any case where the name can actually grow in

    As far as hidden files go, though, I agree completely. They should be
    handled through a setflags/getflags interface (as should the ext2

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    Always looking for a few good BOsFH. ** Linux - the OS of global cooperation
    I am Baha'i -- ask me about it or see

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.020 / U:12.832 seconds]