Subject[OFF TOPIC] Re: Large Distributed Linux Networks
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> FWIW, using libc-5.4.33 and ypclients-2.2-970318 seems to make a fairly
> decent NIS implementation. But I've never been able to keep even the
> latest AMD up with it for more than 47 days.

If you want to test out new AMD's, send a message to
majordomo@majordomo.cs.columbia.edu with the body

subscribe amd-dev

and you will be given instructions how to download the latest version.
Don't worry, it's a very low traffic list.

am-utils is still in alpha (meaning it is being developed and getting new
features), but it's pretty stable, and the latest one (v6.0a9a, I
think) should be quite stable on linux in particular - it has finally
aquired the patches from the debian distribution which, among other
things, make it not hang when mounting a multi-homed host. We are running
amd and am-utils on over 150 computers running solaris, sunos, hp-ux,
linux, etc. with fairly large and complex maps and amd isn't giving us
problems.

If you don't want to be "on the bleeding edge", upl102 with the Debian or
RedHat patches should still be fairly stable. I assume that's what you use
though, so that version might be less stable for you..

Sorry for the off-topic post, I thought others might be interested as
well. It's only a bcc: to the list so that replies will not reach it.

Ionut

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.954 / U:0.040 seconds]