    SubjectRe: Interesting pentium-memcpy results
    Chris Evans <> writes:
    >I just compared 2.1.46 vs. 2.1.46+pentium memcpy patch, and interestingly
    >enough found that the UNIX byte benchmarks tended to _drop_ a fair bit,
    >with the exception of process creation and execl throughput. (Note that I
    >only ran the basic 'system' tests - TCP bandwidth etc. to be determined
    >when I find the newer benchmarks)

    >It does however show us that there still is performance to be gained. I
    >presume the process creation test will be using fork() which does a lot of
    >memcpy'ing of various process credentials in kernel space.
    I haven't done the research to verify how well this will work under
    Linux, but for large a memcpy on the P5 we may wanna consider using the FP
    unit using double precision read and writes. I have sample code if anyone is
    Benjamin Saller Bender <>
    AppliedTheory Communications Software Engineering Group Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.019 / U:40.444 seconds]