SubjectRe: undelete?
On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Kurt Huwig wrote:
> > I looked through dejanews and found Rogier's patch. It did not patch in
> > directly, because the sources have changed a little bit, so I did it by
> > hand, together with minor changes:
>
> Kurt, there should be a followup that had a slightly different patch.
> There is an attribute bit that says "this file needs safe delete",
> which is currently unused. I didn't know that, so I wrote it without
> using that bit. Someon else volunteerd "but there is a bit, for which
> you just made the implementation".

After some time, I found the patch. From the ext2-sources:

/*
* Inode flags
*/
#define EXT2_SECRM_FL 0x00000001 /* Secure deletion */
#define EXT2_UNRM_FL 0x00000002 /* Undelete */
#define EXT2_COMPR_FL 0x00000004 /* Compress file */

Darren refers to the 'Undelete' flag not to 'Secure deletion' which is the
opposite in my view (overwrite the whole file before deletion).

This is indeed a Good Thing (tm) iff there was an EASY tool to set the
'u'-flag. The only one I found was the 'ext2ed'-tool which is not very
handy. So, where can I can an easy tool for changing this flag?

Darren says the undelete-flag is inherited for subdirectories, but just
for creation, I guess.

I will incorporate Darren's patch into your patch and put it on my
webpage.

Still, something like this has to be in a HOWTO/README whatever in place
of the current 'it is worked on'.

Kurt

If you put a PC-formatted disk into a Macintosh, you can read it.
If you put a Mac-formatted disk into a Win95-PC, it asks you
whether it should format it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.049 / U:0.084 seconds]