SubjectRe: Reserved PID's
>> If you have problems with inetd spawning too many processes, either patch
>> inetd do support counting and limiting the number of active processes per
>> socket, or use something like tcpserver which already has this code
>> built-in, or change the process in question to be its own daemon and
>> implement counting and limiting yourself. The first option actually is the
>> most difficult, assuming nobody has done this yet.

>The first option might be the easiest, it's already implemented. :) man
>inetd for details, the idea is to add a .max parameter to wait/nowait in
>the inetd.conf line which will tell inetd how many such processes it is
>allowed to spawn within onne minute. The default is 40 I think..

That won't help you if each process runs forever...

If each process were to run for 13 minutes before exiting and someone
is attempting a DOS attack by repeated connections then 40 connections per
minute will limit your system to 520 processes (2.1 defaults to 512 entries
in the process table).

In return for "mailbag contention" errors from buggy Exchange
servers I'll set my mail server to refuse mail from your domain.
The same response applies when a message to a postmaster
account bounces.
"Russell Coker - mailing lists account" <>