SubjectRe: undelete?
 > Compression should be left to user space apps, which can be written
> to deal with the problem in a more sane manner.

Except then that every app needs to understand compressed files, and
currently, they don't. I can't do a "grep string HOWTO/*" currently,
and as soon as I write a script to do that, I'll run into another
command that does't understand compressed files.

Yes, some things in the kernel will be difficult to do on compressed
files. For mmap(), etc, it would be ok to just completely decompress
the file first, but this involves communication between the fs and
the kernel. For seek(), gack. Perhaps just have the calls fail.
Howz NT do this?

I don't think there's a clean solution either in the kernel, fs, or
user space, without doing serious overhaul.

<elsewhere>
> There are e2fs compression patches (which I would like to see in official
> linux kernel some time in the future) which work relatively well.

The problem with this, is that it's a full disk compression, not a per
file, or per directory compression.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.038 / U:0.248 seconds]