SubjectRe: memory problems
> application (with audio and video) that requires a lot of memory. It
> works
> fine for a certian period of time and crashes (dumps core). It has
> turned
> out be that the seg fault occurs in a malloc routine. The application
> can no longer get memory !! inspite of the fact that there is 128 Mbyte
> of

Most likely your program is buggy.

> SWAP available and NONE has been used. The output of "free" indicates
> that
> most of the memory is sitting in "cache" or "buffers". As I understand,
> this
> memory should be available for reuse, but just does not show up under
> "free".

Yep. Its for free.

> the kernel implementation (this particular version) wherein the cached
> memory
> does not get released for reuse ???.

Not in 2.0.29 - and you'd see "Cannot get a free page" messages everywhere
if you did hit out of memory cases. No most likely your program does
something somewhere like

That happens to work when you overrun the first byte past a malloc block
on solaris but not on some other systems. Freeing the same thing twice is
also a "you might get away with it". Try running your program linked
with electric fence (gcc blah -lwhatever -lefence) - if you need electric
fence its on sunsite, and also available in rpm and deb archive formats