    SubjectRe: memory problems
    Date
    > application (with audio and video) that requires a lot of memory. It
    > works
    > fine for a certian period of time and crashes (dumps core). It has
    > turned
    > out be that the seg fault occurs in a malloc routine. The application
    > can no longer get memory !! inspite of the fact that there is 128 Mbyte
    > of

    Most likely your program is buggy.

    > SWAP available and NONE has been used. The output of "free" indicates
    > that
    > most of the memory is sitting in "cache" or "buffers". As I understand,
    > this
    > memory should be available for reuse, but just does not show up under
    > "free".

    Yep. Its for free.

    > the kernel implementation (this particular version) wherein the cached
    > memory
    > does not get released for reuse ???.

    Not in 2.0.29 - and you'd see "Cannot get a free page" messages everywhere
    if you did hit out of memory cases. No most likely your program does
    something somewhere like

    x=malloc(strlen(str));
    strcpy(x,str)

    That happens to work when you overrun the first byte past a malloc block
    on solaris but not on some other systems. Freeing the same thing twice is
    also a "you might get away with it". Try running your program linked
    with electric fence (gcc blah -lwhatever -lefence) - if you need electric
    fence its on sunsite, and also available in rpm and deb archive formats
    too

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:32.044 seconds]