SubjectRe: File locking anomaly under 2.0.30
In message <>, Alan Cox writes:
:> A possible solution would be to have a flag for clone() which gets stored
:> in the child's task_struct and which would instruct the kernel to use
:> current->pptr instead of current for lock checks. This would mean that
:Doesn't work if the parent dies and the other threads live on as a group

Using pthreads if the main thread of execution dies all of the other
threads are supposed to exit, possibly abnormally. That's why you have to
do a pthread_join() to make sure that all of the other threads have
exited, or trust that they have with a pthread_detach().

I don't know what else is going on under the hood on the level of the
kernel, but I would imagine that the pthreads implementation reflects to
the underlying structures.

Can anyone comment on this?

Christopher Blizzard
AppliedTheory Communications, Inc.