    SubjectRe: File locking anomaly under 2.0.30
    In message <m0wrgE5-0005FmC@lightning.swansea.linux.org.uk>, Alan Cox writes:
    :> A possible solution would be to have a flag for clone() which gets stored
    :> in the child's task_struct and which would instruct the kernel to use
    :> current->pptr instead of current for lock checks. This would mean that
    :
    :Doesn't work if the parent dies and the other threads live on as a group
    :
    :
    :Alan
    :

    Using pthreads if the main thread of execution dies all of the other
    threads are supposed to exit, possibly abnormally. That's why you have to
    do a pthread_join() to make sure that all of the other threads have
    exited, or trust that they have with a pthread_detach().

    I don't know what else is going on under the hood on the level of the
    kernel, but I would imagine that the pthreads implementation reflects to
    the underlying structures.

    Can anyone comment on this?

    --Chris

    Christopher Blizzard
    AppliedTheory Communications, Inc.
    http://odin.appliedtheory.com/
    blizzard@appliedtheory.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.031 / U:60.576 seconds]