SubjectRe: I2O specs available!
Date
> RS6000? Sorry not being very constructive. This whole thing reminds me of
> the ACE consortium. Has quite a few of the same members as well. Compaq,
> HP, Microsoft (no sgi it seems, they got screwed last time...). Sit and
> let i2o shot itslef in the foot...

I2O is much more dangerous than the ACE consortium. The ACE consortium
produced specification, the ARC standard, which was already outdated by
the time when released. The stuff had other shortcomings, too. One of
the keypoints that made consortiums like ACE fail again and again is
that companies fear a negative impact on the lucrativity of their own
bussines.

I2O on the other side tries to address some real problems. The effort
spent on producing drivers in the software industry is substancial and
it is only logic that the industry, ahead Billysoft but also the hardware
industry have a interested in addressing these. I2O promises intelligent
I/O for many more devices resulting in improved performance therefore
increased sales. In short I2O creates a pressure on the industry.

Seen from that point I2O will have a much better chances to attract a
large number of other hard and software companies. Remember, bucks rule
the world. This is why the industry will follow the an I2O wave pretty
much like lemmings.

I don't think that stopping I2O makes sense since I don't think it's
possible. The direction should be much more to correct the shortcommings
which are currently much more hidden in the policies of the I2OSIG than
on the technical side though that one also far away from what I'd call
perfect.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.144 / U:0.704 seconds]