SubjectRe: more on mousesystems ps/2 problem
In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970722122224.98A-100000@arick.wt.net> you write:
>but every 5 minutes while you're using the mouse, it moves the pointer
>right back to the bottom of the screen. (Can't be a mouse problem since a
>DejaNews search through the comp.os.linux.* groups showed people with the
>same problem, and I just got the mouse two days ago.)
>- It works in X if I do gpm -t ps2 -R and tell X to read /dev/gpmdata as a
>MouseSystems mouse, BUT I want to use gpm too.

There appears to be an issue here with the kernel serial
driver. (MouseSystems is the one that operates in two modes, yesno? An
ms mouse compatible 2-button mode, and a proprietary 3-button mode.)
To get into MouseSystems mode, the DTR line on the serial port the
mouse is attached to must be held low. I found that under some
circumstances, altering the tty settings of the serial line could
cause the DTR line to be reset to high. I found this problem within
gpm and the svgalib mouse driver. The solution is to always redo the
ioctl to set DTR low after altering line settings. Alternatively,
setting your driver to ms mode and only using 2 buttons also
works. Oddly, X doesn't seem to have this problem, even when switching
to/from X. The only way to disturb X is to open the mouse device from
an xterm (under its feet!) which causes DTR to be reset and the X
mouse to go squiffy.

>- Oh yeah, it works fine if I load DOS and start the mouse driver, but I

Odd...

John
--
i built it up now i take it apart climbed up real high now fall down real far
no need for me to stay the last thing left i just threw it away

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.071 / U:0.512 seconds]