SubjectRe: I2O, free software
Reading the info I2O gives out about itself at
http://www.i2osig.org/QandA.html
it seems to me as if anyone can join the organization and start writing
their OS/ modifying their hardware, to work with the standard.

If I understand correctly, the primary goal of the I2O mechanism is to
enable pieces of hardware to communicate with each other, independent of
the local machine's CPU.

I am not quite sure how the legalities work in this case, but I would like
to hear someone's informed opinion as to what are the potential real world
problems Linux/GNU/free software people could face because of I2O.

Is there some possibility that if all hardware vendors implement I2O's
standards, OSs which don't use I2O won't be able to use their hardware? It
doesn't sound very realistic to me. However, if that's the case, can
someone explain me how that could happen?

The above might sound like opinions. They are not. I am just trying to
understand this thread and figure out what is the threat so many on the
list seem to be concerned about.

Thanks,

troy

Troy Korjuslommi ALLIANCE STUDIO
Technical Director http://www.alliancestudio.com/
e. tk@alliancestudio.com ph. (310) 458-0884
http://www.alliancestudio.com/tk/ fx. (310) 395-5741
--------- SAMPLE SITES ---------
http://www.bodyofwords.com/ http://www.erascenter.com/
http://www.starlight.org/ http://www.gyw.com/hakimbey/
http://www.alliancestudio.com/brady/ http://www.gyw.com/traveldoc/
http://www.gyw.com/asa/ http://www.stonewallinc.com/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.051 / U:0.200 seconds]