    SubjectRe: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)

    >> technical information on drivers and such. There is also a MS supported
    >> standard for a network connect device that combines PCI/USB and other
    >> devices into a single port with an NDA protected spec.
    >
    >You aren't watching very hard. The biggest leap MS took against free
    >software was Windows/CE - the OS is in flash. Expect NetPC type devices
    >to include windows kernel components in flash in a couple of years

    At least what gets flashed in can be flashed out.

    Of course, supposedly intel's x86 microcode update system is based around
    some kind of encryption such that only an intel-approved update could go
    into it (mostly to prevent people from putting the wrong patch in and hosing
    their CPU--which btw would make one nasty virus).

    I don't know how it works, (intel's website wasn't exactly technically
    detailed about it--they just wanted to point out that it could have fixed
    the fdiv bug) but MS got mfgs to do something like that... ouch.

    ===
    Evan Jeffrey
    erjeffre@artsci.wustl.edu

    depends on the unreasonable man.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:1.112 seconds]