    SubjectRe: Memory being incorrected sized at boot-up
    Date
    In article <linux.kernel.19970715103725.60518@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>,
    Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >> > OK, I incorrectly assumed we call the old function first and continue
    >> >with the new one only if it reports 64M...
    >>
    >> That's what I did in 2.0.30, unfortuantely BIOS on Compaq's only
    >> reports a maximum of 16MB wiht the old BIOS call.
    >
    > Maybe call the new one for >=16MB? This will reduce the chance of crash
    >on a mis-behaved BIOS to minimum. If such broken BIOS'es exist, they are
    >probably on the 386's and most 386 machines have probably <16MB RAM.

    Might it be a good idea to see if there are any old bioses out there
    that DO fail before embarking on some byzantine patch to deal with
    them? I know that the patch I put into the 2.1 kernels works on
    some positively ancient 386sx AMI and Phoenix bioses, as well as the
    usual bizarre outcroppings you find on old Compaq and IBM
    motherboards.

    ____
    david parsons \bi/ Utterly confused by this discussion.
    \/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:91.408 seconds]