    SubjectRe: 2.0.31 : please!

    Daniel> Hi, I find the handling of criticism in this thread
    Daniel> disturbing.

    Daniel> The way some people handled the opinions of others is more
    Daniel> reminiscent of some political party than a free exchange of
    Daniel> thoughts.

    We are not trying to ban criticism or anything closely related to
    that. I have the feeling that most kernel hackers accept critics and
    use it as inspiration _when_ its justified.

    However, the thing that started all this was _not_ the fact that some
    people asked for a new version of the kernel since they felt that
    pre-2.0.31-2 was fairly stable. The reason for all this mess was the
    way the criticism made, which was extremely unfair to the people who
    spend large amounts of time trying to track these problems down so we
    can all enjoy a new and even better kernel.

    First of all people must understand that most of the bugs left in
    2.0.x are pretty sophisticated and are thus very hard to track down
    and solve. It requires a lot of effort and testing and people who
    don't want to contribute have to be patient and shut up. By
    contributing I don't mean that people have to hack the kernel 24hrs a
    day, testing and ideas are welcome as well, but unjustified criticism
    is not welcome.

    Dave just announced that he had devoted the next week to working on
    2.0.31. Then one really can't blame him for getting pissed off when
    someone who is obviously totally clueless as to what is going on
    inside the kernel, states that he knows better. If this persons feels
    like starting his own project based on Linux then feel free, the
    source is GPL'ed, but go somewhere else.

    Ok Dave's reaction was a bit strong IMHO, but still I don't blame
    him. Instead I blame people who come here with no clue at all and
    think they know how to save the world. We can just hope that Dave
    reconsiders and decides to help solving the remaining 2.0.x problems.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:0.500 seconds]