    SubjectRe: Take A deep Breath
       From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <aem@netcom.ca>
    Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 20:29:16 -0400 (EDT)

    I agree, some companies do it that way. That doesn't make it sound
    development strategy. When I last went looking in the job market,
    all the companies in my area were ISO900* compliant (a government
    town makes this a requirement - heck, a few fly an ISO900* banner
    outside their offices). The first question they ask is, "What are
    your [code] documentation skills?" Any idiot can write code, and I've
    had to deal with the code of a lot of idiots.

    Government != commercial.

    Government contracts can insist on ISO9000 compliance. Goverment
    contracts can also insist on $900 toilet bowl seats --- our tax dollars
    at work...

    Seriously, the commercial world, where you have deadlines and competitors
    to beat and market share to grab, is very different from companies who
    can simply work on government contracts.

    Don't assume that what you see in the goverment contractor world has any
    relationship to the Microsoft/Netscape world, where companies release
    barely tested BETA code in order to beat the other in the browser wars,
    for example.

    I'm not saying that this is a good thing, mind you; I'm simply saying
    what *is* for a large number of companies out there. There's a term for
    it, coined by the inventor of Java --- it's called "developing on
    internet time."

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:0.512 seconds]