    SubjectRe: Take a deep breath...
    Date
    Mike Kilburn writes ...

    > "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:
    > >
    > > However, there's a flip side to this --- a distressing trend that I've
    > > been seeing --- which is that more and more programmers seem to be
    > > helpless without documentation. While it is a not a skill which most
    >
    > Another one is they cant fix code without the latest and
    > greatest debugger/ICE/logic analyzer. If you cant
    > figure out uncommented code and fix bugs without a logic analyzer/debugger
    > then I dont want you on my team and you wont get hired by me.
    > However, these tools should be provided whenever possible to
    > increase productivity. Strange thing is it seems hardware guys
    > and scientist and self-taught people dont have a problem with this
    > when they turn into programmers, at least thats been my experience.
    > I think their is a problem with universities computer science
    > training for sure.

    This may not be entirely fair. Scientists and self-taught people have
    more experience with badly written and completely undocumented code, so
    it isn't suprising they are better at coping with it :-)

    Tim Hollebeek | Disclaimer :=> Everything above is a true statement,
    Electron Psychologist | for sufficiently false values of true.
    Princeton University | email: tim@wfn-shop.princeton.edu
    ----------------------| http://wfn-shop.princeton.edu/~tim (NEW! IMPROVED!)

    spamming idiots please email spam@franck.princeton.edu so I know who you are.
    Thanks for being stupid and doing this automatically.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:0.364 seconds]