SubjectRe: 2.0.31 : please!
On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Daniel G. Link wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find the handling of criticism in this thread disturbing.

Constructive criticism gets handled much better.

> Of course, Linux is great. Of course, people are making great efforts to
> make it as good as possible. But how are programmers going to be made
> aware of conceptual weeknesses if it is only allowed to praise them?

That's not true. Noone said that. Don't get rhetorical.

> To put it very bluntly: In order for it to flourish, it has to be possible
> to point out weaknesses in free software without the programmers
> threatening to commit suicide and hundreds of yes-men jumping to their
> defense, shouting "kill the whiner".

There's a difference in between "there seems to be a bug"/"it could be
made faster by.." and "get your butt up and release that patch".

> What good is free software if you aren't supposed to criticise it because
> it's free?

Again not true.

> There are users out there. These people will get the concept that there
> are 2.0.X and 2.1.X kernels out there, but they will not understand why
> they shouldn't use the newest of the "stable" kernels.

And why shouldn't they?

> At least for me and some other people, 2.0.30 and 2.1.[28-42] have been
> especially bad kernels. My first kernel was 0.99.12. Never before the
> above mentioned kernels have I had kernels that don't even compile or
> freeze the system within the first five minutes.

I'm sure there have been other not-so-stable 2.0.x kernels.

Stephan Meyer
Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/
2A 64 F0 73 02 91 10 FC 18 CC 83 1E E2 2C 7E 79
finger stephan.meyer@pobox.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.183 / U:0.860 seconds]