    SubjectRe: Take A deep Breath - Kernel Documentation
    Date

    >Not kidding - if someone wants to submit (and maintain) documents that go
    >with sections of the code or just comments that explain sections they feel
    >are clear they are as good a patch as one that fixes a bug - being hard
    >to follow flow in code IS a bug.

    >Alan

    First, before i get any flames, i am not a experienced kernel hacker
    (sometimes i eat the code, but it is difficult to understand for one, who
    looks every 3 weeks into it :) )

    I think think we should think about the thought above.
    Actually it is a to big effort for one person to write a kernel documention for
    a whole kernel( kernel hacker's guide will always be a document for kernel history) .
    Maybe out there in kernel land are enough volunteers which can mantain
    the documentation of a kernel part (isdn ext2 :) ). To make the effort smaller
    maybe this could be split up in parts too (one maintains inode.c (but this is difficult, true!))

    Volunteers?

    Personal proposal:
    In this documentation should cover the data structures and the general control flow
    of the algorithms used (do you know any tools btw? arguments?). More would be
    beautiful, but a beast.

    If this proposal sounds reasonable we should discuss a 'standard documentation'
    which consists of: ? (your proposal)

    Dietmar

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:3.189 / U:0.008 seconds]