    SubjectRe: Take a deep breath...

    On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
    >
    > > I almost guarantee that 10% more effort put into documentation and
    > > commenting would reap great rewards in terms of contributed input from the
    > > community at large. Then, you CAN go off and design and implement the
    > > "latest and greatest" - AFTER having paved the way for others to maintain
    > > and fine-tune the previous "latest and greatest".
    >

    > IMHO, it takes more effort to document the code than to write it. That's my
    > experience with kernel hacking (and I touched a lot of the Linux/m68k kernel
    > code). So your 10% rule is not correct (and as a professional developer,
    > shouldn't you know that documentation is the hardest part? :-)

    Oh absolutely true. I never meant to imply that 10% more time would
    result in complete documentation <g>. Just trying to get a point
    across..

    > And the `real' kernel hackers have so much to do, and so many new ideas, that
    > they'd rather do what they like most: i.e. turning ideas into new code...

    And they do that well. I would be glad to document kernel source -
    problem is that I don't know what the h*ll is going on in most places!

    In another message, Alan Cox implies that something might be coming down
    the pike from O'Reilly. I bought a copy of Linux Kernel Internals, and it
    was of some value (if a bit dated). Perhaps it's time for a re-read of
    that and "Modern Unix Internals".

    Just so hard to get that first foot in the door!

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.034 / U:30.412 seconds]