SubjectRe: Linux on AMD K6
On Jul 14, Dan Hollis wrote
> On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, yuri mironoff wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > CPU Dhrystones
> > > ---------------------- ----------
> > > AMD K6/200 374838.4
> > > Pentium Pro 200 356929.4
> > What options are you compiling with? I get 416K for a 200 MHZ PPro.
> > Aside from that - Dhrystones is a useless benchmark. Try lmbench or
> > do a kernel build (serial and parallel) - now that would be interesting.
>
> Kernel build measures the disk and i/o subsystems more than it does the
> CPU. Thus kernel builds are more useless than dhrystones. I'm only

Dead wrong. At least if you are not compiling with mem=4m. Compiling is highly CPU bound.
Once i measured compiles time on the same box on to different hardisk, a scsi disk and
an ide disk. Compile time were falling in the same __seconds__ (was something like
12 minute (P5 90MHz))

--
Philippe Strauss <philou@lili.urbanet.ch>

Homepage & PGP key: http://lili.urbanet.ch

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.155 / U:0.368 seconds]