SubjectRe: kernel-managed /dev, revisited
On 11 Jul 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > One of my biggest Linux pet peeves is having to reshuffle my !@#$@!
> > /etc/fstab every time I reshuffle my drives. [I do know about
> > Youngdale's tools for this] Running a news server means many SCSI ids,
> > many SCSI hosts, and a lot of reshuffling, on into the night...
>
> Actually, I like Ted's idea better: Have the kernel scan the disk
> labels at boot time for every partition detected and grab a list of
> the disk labels on those partitions (you will need to label your file
> systems of course).
>
> And then, instead of using devices for mouting your file systems, you
> just mount them by name:
>
> mount usr /usr
> mount MyToys /opt

Thid wouldn't be terribly hard to do. Well, not TERRIBLY hard. :)

At boot time, put simlinks (Or maybe even use the dcache :) ) for drive
labels in something like /dev/volumes (this would have to be done AFTER
mounting root, of course) Then, patch mount to also look in /dev/volumes
when you aren't using /dev/* syntax.
A pain, I admit, but not hard.

Too bad I have no reason to do any of this and probably won't. :)

Ciao

Joe Pranevich