    SubjectRe: kernel-managed /dev, revisited
    On 11 Jul 1997, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

    > > One of my biggest Linux pet peeves is having to reshuffle my !@#$@!
    > > /etc/fstab every time I reshuffle my drives. [I do know about
    > > Youngdale's tools for this] Running a news server means many SCSI ids,
    > > many SCSI hosts, and a lot of reshuffling, on into the night...
    > Actually, I like Ted's idea better: Have the kernel scan the disk
    > labels at boot time for every partition detected and grab a list of
    > the disk labels on those partitions (you will need to label your file
    > systems of course).
    > And then, instead of using devices for mouting your file systems, you
    > just mount them by name:
    > mount usr /usr
    > mount MyToys /opt

    Thid wouldn't be terribly hard to do. Well, not TERRIBLY hard. :)

    At boot time, put simlinks (Or maybe even use the dcache :) ) for drive
    labels in something like /dev/volumes (this would have to be done AFTER
    mounting root, of course) Then, patch mount to also look in /dev/volumes
    when you aren't using /dev/* syntax.

    A pain, I admit, but not hard.

    Too bad I have no reason to do any of this and probably won't. :)

    Joe Pranevich

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.022 / U:23.064 seconds]