SubjectRe: pre2.0.31-2
>>>>> "Gabriel" == Gabriel Paubert <paubert@iram.es> writes:

Gabriel> On 6 Jun 1997, Jes Degn Soerensen wrote:

>> PS: Besides vremap() is really one of those functions where you
>> cannot figure out from its name what it is actually doing, so maybe
>> a renaming was a good idea as well.

Gabriel> Done in V2.1, it's called ioremap and has the additional
Gabriel> ioremap_nocache version to explicitly disable caching.

Hmmm sometimes I should really read the code before posting,
especially the x86 specific one which I do not always read that
closely.

Anyway ioremap() and ioremap_nocache() are far too x86 specific.

First of all it doesn't have to be IO memory only which I would want
to remap, this could also be the memory of a video board, unused
physical memory which I want to do use for some special purpose etc.,
but ok this is a minor issue. remap_phys() would probably make more
sense, since we are dealing with physical addresses.

Second, adding a _nocache() version is the wrong way to handle this,
memory is not just cached or non-cached on some architectures. It
would be far better to add the extra parameter to ioremap() instead,
thus one can specify the various funny parameters for the specific
architecture.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.894 / U:0.092 seconds]