    SubjectRe: Sync PPP layer
    Date
    In dist.linux.kernel, article <867448948.11297@noris.de>,
    Tomasz Motylewski <motyl@ipl.net> writes:

    > nonsence! There is a need for a common synchronous interface and 2 example
    > drivers using that interface - one "smart" and one "dumb". And than a little

    Right (other than your spelling of "nonsense" ;-).
    Note that we already have sync devices in the kernel (ISDN).

    > modules feeding data from that interface to PPP, X.25, FR encapsulation

    Plus, the HDLC code needs to be abstracted out of the PPP driver (i.e.,
    split it in two independent modules). Right now the two ways to do sync ppp
    are (a) rewrite the thing, or (b) encapsulate to async before converting
    the data right back. Both ways are singularily silly.

    Whoever does this could please tell the VanJ code to adjust the start of
    the packet instead of copying the data. Thank you...

    The current TTY code could conceivably be convinced to carry packet
    boundaries...

    > P.S. Anyone knows some better discussion forum for that problem? Is linux-net
    > or linux-serial or linux-x25 more suitable for that discussion?

    Anybody know of a few weeks I (or somebody else) could borrow to actually
    do all this?

    --
    A good scapegoat is hard to find.
    --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.022 / U:3.516 seconds]