    SubjectRe: Sync PPP layer
    Date
    > Alan Cox once recommended WANPIPE devices, but then started developing
    > synchronous extensions to standard character devices. There also exist 2-4
    > other possible models some of them only suitable for one type of protocol.

    The synchronous extensions for standard character devices are solely because
    I need to be able to flip tty lines into sync modes on the many systems
    that support them. To have a sane way to handle them really needs that
    to be a line discipline. Where the packets go then is open to debate but
    a WANPIPE interface is perfectly viable - basically you'd get

    tty-driver dumb-sync-board smart-sync-board
    | | |
    sync line discipline | |
    |___________________| |
    | |
    Sync support libraries |
    |_________________________________|

    WANPIPE etc

    The problems we then have that I know of are

    a) The existing ISDN layer and glue. Thats a fine example of why we
    shouldn't have the system we do now
    b) PPP is in the wrong place, PPP really is a sync support library
    with some kind of async framing layer able to front it as a line discipline
    not two copies of the code (one for ISDN)
    c) The other frame relay code and cleanly handling multipoint devices

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.034 / U:0.888 seconds]