SubjectXFree86 3.3 + CL GD5464 + 2.1.x
Hello:

I have a Cirrus Logic 5464 video card. With 2.0.30, I have no problems
with this card and XFree86 v3.3 (when using 3.1.2, it crashed all the
time when switching to other virtual terminals). However, whenever I
try to use a 2.1.42 or 2.1.43, my screen and keyboard lock up whenever I
try to start X. I recall reading about problems with the SVGA server
and the new 2.1 kernels a while back, but I can't seem to locate the
message.

I am currently running Redhat 4.2 and I have the following hardware:

Mustang R534 Motherboard with SIS chipset and Cyrix 6x86 166+ CPU
64MB EDO Ram
3.8 GB Quantum Fireball EIDE Hard Drive
16x EIDE CD-ROM
Cirrus Logic GD5464 PCI Video Card
Adaptec 152x (can't recall if I have the floppy or not)
- Seagate SCSI 435 MB (very old)
- NEC 3xp CD-ROM
Media Vision PAS16 Sound Card w/ SCSI (SCSI not used)

Is there anyone running with the same video card having any success with
the newer 2.1.x kernels? If so, I would be lead to believe that
something with the SIS chipset or Cyrix CPU would be a potential
problem. I've tried to fiddle with wait states, video shadowing, and
other "performance" options in my BIOS, but nothing seems to change.
Now that I am thinking about it, I may also need to fiddle with the PCI
configuration options in the kernel (i.e. turn off some experimental
features ... something to do with the PCI bridge comes to mind ... too
bad I am not in Linux right now).

As a side note, I had thought that I was successfully running XFree86
3.2A under 2.1.38 or 39 with a Slackware 3.0 distribution + upgrades.
However, I have since reformatted everything and installed Redhat. I
haven't had any time to install and fiddle around with 3.2A to see if
anything happens. However, I am not 100% sure that I was successful
using 3.2A.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this matter.

---Jonathan Freeson
jfreeson@sun.science.wayne.edu

P.S. If you do reply to this message, can you please CC me as well since
I get the list in digest form and I may miss it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.029 / U:0.284 seconds]