SubjectRe: For the love of god!!! PLEASE somebody update 3com vortex config listing.
On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> It's being worked on. David Miller ( if I can speak for Dave... Hi
> Dave :-) ) has already stated an intention on including the boomerang driver
> in a upcoming kernel (2.0.31 I hope!). The great debate (flame) is what
> version. The most "stable" version at this time appears to be 0.30 with
> some patches. But, AFAIK, it does not support the 100Mbit 3c905 but only
> the 10Mbit 3c900. I may be wrong on that and people are welcome to roundly
> flame me in private if I am.

It works fine on 100 MBit, as does *all* versions of the Vortex/Boomerang
driver I've seen. I'm fairly sure even 0.25 (really ancient) supported
that!

(I don't have anything older than 0.28c archived, which supports types of
3c905's).

> I have just seen a patch on the vortex mailing list (vortex was the
> code name for the 3c59x cards while boomerang is the code name for their
> successors, the 3c90x cards) which claims to now fix both the cable
> disconnect and the 16 retries problem. The explanation seems plausable and
> the patch looks reasonable. I'll be checking this out later today. If this
> shoots these two dragons in the 0.41 driver, we need the subsequent 0.42
> driver in the kernel ASAP.

It's not that urgent if we get the "0.31" driver in first, the one used in
pre-2. It doesn't use DMA, but it's a known working version that can be
used until the DMA version has shaked down.

--
Torbjörn Lindgren
E-mail: tl@funcom.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.034 / U:0.188 seconds]