        From Wed Jun 25 01:36:27 1997

    On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, A.E. Brouwer wrote:

    > o The console/window is "/usr/bin/reset" upon exit.
    > A bad idea. Why would you want to do that?
    > This messes up my interrupt character etc.

    For some people, including me, it will make no difference. However, your
    point is well taken, and I should probably modify that change. Perhaps a
    simple 'tput rs2' or something similar?

    Hmm - from man terminfo:

    Commands are normally placed in rs2 and rf
    only if they produce annoying effects on the screen

    On my machines rs2 is not defined for the Linux console.

    > Note that there are lots of `reset' programs or scripts around,
    > all intending to get a tty into more or less reasonable shape
    > after an unintended crash. Your program is buggy if it needs
    > reset.

    Ouch! That's kind of a harsh stance. Perhaps using /usr/bin/reset is not
    the best idea. However, choosing to reset the terminal doesn't
    automatically make a program "buggy".

    Think of it this way: If your program is correct it leaves the
    terminal in a good state. The program reset will bring a terminal
    from an unknown, undesired state to a tolerable state.
    If you invoke reset without good reason, just `to be sure',
    then you go from the correct state to a less correct but tolerable
    state. Not a good idea.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:9.364 seconds]