SubjectRe: possible ext2 bug
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:02:52 -0400
> From: David Feuer <david@feuer.his.com>
>
> I was compiling glibc-2.0.4, but the make failed, leaving behind some
> rather mysterious files that could not be deleted. An ls in one of the
> directories in the source tree turned up some files of type "?", some
> that were supposedly block devices, and maybe some others, but I don't
> remember. They could not be deleted even by root. Attempting to delete
> them led to an error message something like:
> EXT2 <something> error: <Such and such> already cleared.
> Running e2fsck seemed to clear up the problem, but I thought I should
> let you know about it. Please respond to dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu (don't
> use auto-reply). Thank you.
>
> You haen't specified anything about which version of the Kernel you are
> using, what kind of hardware you have, what kind of disk drive this
> happened on, etc.
>
> In nine of out of ten cases that I've seen reported, the problem has
> been hardware related, but you haven't given us enough information to
> really even judge what might have cuased the problem.
>
> - Ted

I'm sorry. I am running Red Hat Linux version 4.1, with kernel version
2.0.27. I have an EIDE hard drive (not sure of company). The system has
a PCI bus, with plug-and-play (doesn't seem relevent, but who knows). If
it helps, the computuer is a Dell Dimension XPS Pro200n. If you need more
info (seems likely, I haven't had time to open up the computer) let me
know. Thanks.
/ David Feuer \
| dfeuer@mbhs.edu |
| feuer@cqi.com |
| (301)320-4990 |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.044 / U:0.452 seconds]