SubjectRe: 2.1 Newbie boot bummer (SOLVED)
Someone who has a badly-configured system :) (linux kernel account) wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>
> > In case anybody might wonder what would lead me to leave out virtual
> > terminals, I can only say in my defense that, while "make xconfig" is nice
> > and flashy, it does make it easy to blow past configuration parameters that
> > weren't there before, and the default on these was "no". Next time I'll be
> > more attentive.
> >
> If you dont "make mrproper" after a patch any new options will be
> defaulted to "no" which can sometimes cause problems.. Make mrproper does
> nuke your config but it's best to do it with a new kernel anyways so you
> can see any new options that you might want..

Probably the best thing to do is `make oldconfig'. This will ask you
about new options and keep your previous selections for old ones.
Then, you can do menuconfig or xconfig if you want. If I had known
about `oldconfig' when VTs first became an option (as well as when
the IDE HD driver became an optional part of the IDE driver), my
life would have been a *lot* easier :)

--
-Neil Moore http://www.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us/~amethyst/
(finger amethyst@valjean.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us for my Geek Code)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.035 / U:0.348 seconds]