    SubjectRe: rescan scsi
    On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > Nevertheless, it is possible. There is no existing kernel code to support
    > this. You CAN swap drives that are identical by dismounting the existing
    > one, removing it, hooking up the other, then remounting (after fsck).
    > Basically you are tricking the kernel into thinking it's the same drive.

    "How inconvenient it must be walking around with a foot in your mouth" ;-)
    Yes, there _is_ code in the kernel to handle reprobing/dropping devices on
    the fly. You really shouldn't swap two identical devices without notifying
    the kernel, as there may be internal states kept.

    > I use this trick on my Suns. When I boot a Sun, I hook up an external
    > tape drive. Once it is "up", I disconnect the drive (I only have 1 to share
    > over a bunch of Suns).

    Under Solaris/Linux/NetBSD/OpenBSD at the very least you can reprobe
    individual devices or whole buses during runtime, no need for such
    trickery. In fact, most of the os:s really, _really_ dislikes having a
    probed device removed on the fly without notification. Try accessing the
    device after it has been removed and enjoy the console. :)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:63.932 seconds]