    SubjectRe: ide.c question!
    > > On the other hand, my cheapo IDE cd-rom doesn't always probe successfully
    > > on boot. It would be nice to have such a feature anyway.
    > >
    > I'm also having problems with IDE CD-ROM drive. But it looks more like a
    > kernel problem, not that drive is so cheap. :)
    > When I poweron machine, everythingis OK, kernel recognizes CD-ROM:
    > hdc: GCD-R580B, ATAPI CDROM drive
    > If I now reboot Linux, CD won't be recognized again. Looks like Linux
    > leaves it in some strange state. Error message is:
    > hdc: no response (status = 0xd1)
    The system has to have been on for a little while (i.e. the drive has
    to go to sleep) before this will happen to me. However, "a little while"
    isn't long at all, and when I reboot to DOS, even BTC's provided DOS
    drivers can't get more out of the drive than that it exists (the BIOS
    autoprobe guesses it's a Mode 0 device and takes ages to do it...then
    again, it takes ages to autoprobe for stuff I told the BIOS isn't there!).
    I think I've also seen (status = 0x80) instead of 0xd1 here.

    Additionally, sometimes I've seen a linux kernel think there's a device
    slaved to the CD-ROM (false) that it can't even guess what it might be,
    and correctly assumes that it was a glitch. I can't reproduce that
    right now, which leads me to believe either it's the other machine's
    chipset (I upgraded the motherboard recently) or a bug that has been

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.029 / U:10.128 seconds]