    SubjectRe: Kernel-Messages translation
    Kurt Huwig <> wrote:
    > IMHO, these things are true:
    > 1. There is a demand for translated kernel messages

    There is also a bit of opposition against any such translations.
    There are arguments against "dubbing" the kernel that prevails even if
    someone succeeds in making the implementaion fully invisible to
    english speaking admins.

    1: Bug-reporting would be hurt.
    2: Language barriers would become even greater. {The user could read
    the error message but he has spent his life using translated OSes
    so he hasn't bothered to learn enough english to be able to
    actually tell the developers about the problem}
    3: There would be errors in the translations.
    4: It could, in the future, hurt the OS {"Yes, L. is a Great OS but
    the german version is terribly outdated"}

    If someone -- in spite of the intrinsic problems -- really implements
    a translation I have a suggestion: _append_ the translation to the
    english message; do not replace.
    (e.g: "The Foo failed" --> "The Foo has failed (Foo har misslyckats)")

    Translations should IMHO be implemented in "wet-ware" rather than

    <>... For my pgp-key, mail me with Subject: send pgp.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:37.140 seconds]