    SubjectRe: NS Communicator PR5, JavaScript Help CRASH! CRASH! CRASH!
    I know you said "No 'don't use Netscape'" replies. But seriously...

    4.0b5 is a piece of JUNK!!!

    In case Netscape wasn't listening let me say rephrase that...

    4.0b5 is a piece of JUNK!!!

    I use it too (shoot me) and it crashes *ALL OVER THE PLACE*. emptying
    the trash folder, starting a new browser, opening a newsgroup, selecting
    messages, accidentally dragging a hyperlink will do it every time. all
    this and more crashes Netscape 4.0b5 and I haven't even tried to use
    JAVA yet.

    maybe that have some general malloc error that is causing all these
    crashes and hopefully they'll have it fixed in 4.0b6

    - Jeff

    W. Reilly Cooley wrote:

    > I've been trying to use the latest PR5 of Netscape Communicator and
    > met with
    > a disheartening failure. Using the included "Help" system, which
    > requires
    > JavaScript enabled caused nasty things to happen. Errors flashed by
    > having
    > to do with malloc on the xterm where I started it. Load avg went
    > sky-high.
    > Phyical memory and swap completely exhausted. System would respond to
    > nothing: CTRL-ALT-DEL, CTRL-ALT-Fx (it did once--but memory was too
    > short
    > even to do a 'ps' to get the pid so's I could kill the wild process),
    > CTRL-ALT-BKSPC. The grinding of my hard disk--the incessant swapping
    > about--continued unrelentingly for over twenty minutes (I know 20 min
    > b/c
    > strangely enough, xclock and xload, unlike every other process,
    > continued to
    > work almost normally), until I hit the "reset" button.
    >
    > My conjecture is that NS attempted to malloc(), thought the return
    > value
    > indicated that it failed and tried again, and again, and again...
    > (And
    > then there's copy-on-write.)
    >
    > It comes as no surprise to me that Netscape should be malfunctional.
    > What surprises me is that Linux was unable to recover. What should it
    > have done in such a circumstance? What should _I_ have done in such a
    > circumstance?
    >
    > Pls. no responses like "don't use Netscape"
    >
    > Wil
    > --
    > W. Reilly Cooley
    > NakedApe Consulting & Navi.Net representative
    > 1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 97232
    > 503 287-2165 wcooley@navi.net
    > www.navi.net/~wcooley www.navi.net/~nakedape

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.024 / U:59.972 seconds]