    SubjectRe: New 2.0.31 pre patch is out (still problems)

    On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

    > That should be about it. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to
    > merge in Stephen Tweedie's ext2 I/O error recovery fixes, that
    > certainly will make it into 2.0.31 so do not worry. ;-)
    > I would love it if only one more pre-patch is needed for a final
    > 2.0.31 so people please test this well.

    I have reported a problem with ioctl(TIOCGWINSZ) in the kernel a few weeks
    ago to the list as well as to Linus. He asked me to try and pin-point it
    to the specific kernel. I sent my response to him and to the list a
    couple of times but received no feedback.

    What I responded with is as follows:

    ======= cut here =======

    Okay, it is definitely 2.0.30 that is at fault. This is easily producable
    on my system from tty1 virtual console:

    1. login as gomer
    2. rlogin -l gomer localhost
    3. stty size
    4. if size == ok, type "exit" and goto step 2
    5. stty size -> 0, 0

    While doing this, I also noticed something else. After doing an "exit"
    and redoing rlogin -l gomer localhost, there is a very noticable delay of
    4-5 seconds taken to actually login (this is on a totally idle PPro 200).
    The very first rlogin is RAPID. The second rlogin is always delayed.

    When I went to 2.0.29, rlogin was consistantly rapid *always*. And after
    20 or more attempts at reproducing the incorrect row/cols stty values, I
    gave up.

    ======= cut here =======

    I have since tried the above with the pre 2.0.31-2 patches applied. The
    same problems still occur so I guess I will be stuck with 2.0.29 again.

    In addition to attempting to strace where rlogin was "pausing" temporarily
    (see above), it appears to be on a connect( sometimes (but not
    always) and on read() of /etc/motd. Again, with 2.0.29, things are very
    rapid under all circumstances.

    Version: 2.6.2
    Comment: PGP Signed with PineSign 2.0

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    | Greg Patterson | EMAIL: |
    | | |
    | Move over Microsoft, | IRC: Wizird (#Linux) |
    | Linux is here to stay. | WWW: |

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.034 / U:19.968 seconds]