    SubjectRe: Repeat the Ending
    On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

    > > > To get the bootup messages: dmesg
    > >
    > > I see you haven't had a lot of kernel debug messages coming your way...
    >
    > Take an SMP kernel, compile in drivers for a few devices...a SCSI card or
    > two, ethernet, a selection of SCSI devices, etc., especially things like
    > the Buslogic driver (16 or so lines of bootup info!), and the kernel
    > message buffer runs out of space real quick.

    That's actually beside the point, although it's true. The really hard case
    is when your kernel does not make it to the point where you can run dmesg,
    yet the relevant error messages have scrolled up and you can't see them
    anymore.

    I would personally favor a compile-time switch for activating such a
    feature, as it's really useful for debugging. Whether it's in Configure or
    just in some random .c file it doesn't really matter.

    Ionut

    --
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
    than to open it and remove all doubt.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.017 / U:31.224 seconds]