SubjectRe: "obsolete" hardware
Date
>    I sincerely hope that Linux has not adopted the "We know whats best and
> screw you and your suggestions" attitude. Yes - I can roll up my sleeves
> and hack the SMP code but I doubt I can do it better than you guys.
> However I'll produce a hell of a development tool - if we cooperate.

I agree, but some things will never come to pass. Ultimately, this is
Linus Torvalds kernel, and his vision will decide where it goes for
better or worse. He's done an amazing job IMHO.

Basically, I want to hack, so do lots of other people. The true hacking
bunch don't mind daily kernels, huge source code distributions, etc.,
or completely trashing something and starting anew with incompatible
code. They don't look back, only ahead. Change is good.

There is another bunch running big ISPs and such that don't want to
reboot before the sun dies and becomes a dim white dwarf. They want
everything to work _now_ and keep working. Change is bad.

Finally there is the bunch that don't mind the other two groups, as
long as whatever is produced runs on their aging equipment (I have one
foot in this group). What is this thing called change?

[Perhaps there should be more than just production and experimental
kernel distributions. Perhaps completely different kernels.]

Poor old Linus ends up in the middle, trying to keep everyone happy,
and preventing them from killing each other. I don't know how he manages
it. If I were him, I think I would want to just pack up and move somewhere
far away <chuckle>

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.443 / U:0.932 seconds]