    SubjectRe: "obsolete" hardware

    On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Thomas Pornin wrote:

    > -- the first reason is that there are plenty of 386 out there, and, in
    > fact, they are all the more sufficient for what we do 95% of the time.
    > I am personnaly a researcher in cryptography, and I so run sometimes
    > some programs for two or three weeks; but my pentium is way too
    > powerful for everyday life, which is namely email reading and,
    > on times to times, word processing. I would still be happy with
    > a 386. Ten years ago, such a beast was considered as rather good.
    > It still is. It has not changed. Only there are better processors
    > available.

    I second that motion! I feel sick seeing people spend all kinds of money
    on a p200/32ram 4gig hd when all they are going to do is wordprocess.. A
    task that could be adaquetly done on a XT at the wapping price of $5 at a
    yard sale.. Or using the 'NET which can be done GREAT on a 386...
    386es are BLAZINGLY FAST for most purposes.. And a network of 50 or so
    fast 386es easly out price/performs a single pentium system.. I've had a
    network of old 386es I saved from the dumpster put out nearly a half
    million rc5 keys a second.. It cost me under a $100 dollars to get them
    up.. My MUCH more expensive dual 200 is just able to do that...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.019 / U:120.372 seconds]